I woke up at 6 am on the 4th of July having contractions about 5 minutes. I couldn't get to sleep the night before, so I was up until 4 am. I was surprised that they started right up at 5 minutes apart, because everything I'd read/heard sounded like I would start having contractions 10-20 min apart, and that I would have several hours before it would be time to go to the hospital. So, thinking this, I told Jeff I might need to go to the hospital soon, but that I wanted to wait a bit before we went. I didn't want to get to the hospital just to have them tell me to come back later. But after about 30 minutes, I decided that it was time to go to the hospital, so we got ready and headed out. We got all checked in, and I was further along than I expected, so I was ready to get my epidural about an hour later (luckily the anesthesiologist was already at the hospital). After that, I was much more comfortable! At about 12 they told me I was ready to start pushing, and after 2 hours of pushing, and a little help from a vacuum, the little guy arrived at 2 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 13 oz, and was 22 inches long.
Later in the afternoon, while he was in the nursery, a nurse noticed that his oxygen saturation was low and his heart rate was off, so they called in a doctor. They were worried about him having an infection, so he was taken down to the NICU for a few days to be put on oxygen and started on antibiotics. When the blood work came back, it did show signs of an infection. We were very glad for the help of the doctor and nurses that were watching out for him. The doctor told me later that there was a chance that if they hadn't started his antibiotics when they did (before they had confirmation of his infection), things could have gotten very bad. After 4 days in the NICU, his labs came back good enough to take him home on Tuesday, and he has been pretty good since! Anyways, because he was covered in wires and cords, we didn't take very many pictures in the hospital, but here's the two pictures I have. Jeff's dad took another good one, but I don't have a copy of that one.
Do you think he's bored? I'm sure he was glad to be off oxygen though! |
The nurses all loved his hair. We kind of like it too ;) |
Well, that's all for now. I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of us going home! I guess we were just so excited to be going home. Anyhow, I'll have more pictures up later on.
No comments:
Post a Comment